Asaph Beta 2

Based on the wonderful feedback I got on my last post, I just put together a new beta version of Asaph. It fixes the most common problems people had with the last one. This includes:

Again, to install just unpack the zip, enter your database settings in lib/asaph_config.class.php, upload it to your webserver and point your browser to admin/install.php.

If you already installed the previous version, just replace all the files and skip the install step, as the database layout didn’t change.

Asaph version 1.0 – ZIP ~50kbUpdated: Asaph version 1.0

I have some more plans and ideas for future versions of Asaph. Don’t hold your breath though – this will take some time :)

Wednesday, March 26th 2008

#1Tony Crockford – Thursday, March 27th 2008, 07:55

Thanks for the update, warning to others, don't just replace all the files on your server - the data directory needs to remain untouched or you lose all your post images...

also, while the RSS feed now shows images, it also appends an id to the read more link, resulting in 404 errors e.g. www.boldfish.co.uk/stuff/8

looking good though!

#2 – Leo – Thursday, March 27th 2008, 10:05

Thanks!

#3Jerod – Thursday, March 27th 2008, 14:10

Wow, that was fast. Thanks!

#4Jerod (again) – Thursday, March 27th 2008, 15:47

I am experiencing a problem with images and quotes getting their heads chopped off on the top row of the microblog.

jerodsanto.net

Please check out my site and you will see the image of an Amazon album has the top 1/5 cut off. When you click to view it in front everything is fine. This also happened on a large quote I started with and I had to remove some of the words to make it fit.

Anybody else having this problem?

Other than this, I love Asaph. Thanks!

#5drazin – Thursday, March 27th 2008, 15:58

very cool application. please continue to use feedback and move fwd with richer features and more robust functions.

very similar to www.notcot.org which is one of my favorite sites.

#6Lama Himself – Thursday, March 27th 2008, 17:52

@jerod: I would say "It's not a bug, it's feature" :)
Asaph cut the picture in a way that all picture on the website have exactly the same size without screwing with the apsect ratio.
It's technically possible to resize picture in way that the whole image (and also the quote) is shown but the design of the blog will be... unbalanced.

#7Dominic – Thursday, March 27th 2008, 18:08

#4: Well, thumbnails are always generated in the specified size (that is 256x192 by default). If the source image has another aspect ratio than 4x3 (256x192) the thumbnail will only show a part of the image - the center. So your thumb is not only cropped on the top, but also on the bottom.

I still felt this is the best solution, as you can rely on all your thumbnails to be in the same size.

On the large quote issue - either restrict yourself to short quotes, change the font size for quotes in the .css file or change the layout completely to allow longer texts.

#8Jerod – Thursday, March 27th 2008, 20:41

Thanks, I understand your reasoning. Short quotes is not a big problem for me, but maybe an ability to choose how image is cropped would be beneficial.

Maybe too much work and not enough gain...I don't know...

#9 – nomatta – Friday, March 28th 2008, 00:07

Cool stuff, pls add feed-info to the html-header :)

#10 – nomatta – Friday, March 28th 2008, 01:00

Could you improve the render-quality of the images? Get really crappy with larger pics (>800*600)

#11 – nomatta – Friday, March 28th 2008, 01:58

ok, excuse my talking rubbish here.

just one things: should be background default to white not black? (if the image is to small/wrong sides etc?)

#12 – stan – Friday, March 28th 2008, 07:17

well, thanks first for that. i'm on my way to install it.

do you intend to/did you think about putting the source into some svn/git public repository ?

#13Hannes – Friday, March 28th 2008, 10:46

hm,
I had to add an z-index:999; to the #whitebox id so the image would stay on top all the time.

#14Leo – Saturday, March 29th 2008, 23:18

If I could make one request, it would be to be able to post video's...maybe only viewable in the "white box" when you click on it (like images) or maybe as a clickable image of one of the video frames that links to the video page...

#15 – asapher – Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 05:26

darn, i lost the data files, anyway i could regenerate for the admin?

#16alone413 – Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 18:36

Love it!

cURL support is much loved.... but does anyone know how to have more than 9 posts per page on the stock theme? Dominic? Allo?

I'd love to whip up some themes if the "tags" or switches could be documented.

#17Dominic – Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 23:07

#15 asapher: You could write a script to re-grab all the images if you still have all posts in your database. But I'm not going to do that for you, sorry :)

#16 alone413: There is a $postsPerPage setting in the config file. Just change it.

#18Cawlin – Friday, April 4th 2008, 06:48

Have been fooling around with asaph the last couple nights and thought I would share what I have going myself.

internetjogging.com/things/

I added some mootools effects and changed the rss feed template to make it more useful for myself.

Hope you all like it!

#19Andrew – Friday, April 4th 2008, 16:56

I've been trying to get it to work, and while its installed and fine, I get no option to add images. I must be failing hard here, but I just don't see how/where :(

#20Dominic – Friday, April 4th 2008, 17:19

Yeah, I'm sorry. There is no "documentation" or manual yet, that explains how this thing actually works. For now, you can only watch the screencast:
www.phoboslab.org/files/asaph/asaph-about.mov

In short: Drag the bookmarklet from the admin menu to your bookmarks, and click it whenever you see something interesting :)

#21Jerod Santo – Friday, April 4th 2008, 17:49

@Cawlin: Your tweaks are very cool! I especially love the changes you made to the RSS feed. Mind sharing??

#22Cawlin – Saturday, April 5th 2008, 01:46

@Jerod Santo

I don't mind sharing at all. Shoot me an email if you want the rss template. I am working on releasing a full template with similar enhancements all around.

jogger {at} internetjogging {dot} com

#23Smaran – Sunday, April 6th 2008, 17:47

Unfortunately, my host doesn't offer MySQL 4. Have you considered making Asaph MySQL 5 compatible?

#24Dominic – Sunday, April 6th 2008, 18:17

Asaph is MySQL 5 compatible. MySQL 4 simply is the mininum requirement for it.

#25 – Nicolas – Wednesday, July 16th 2008, 15:58

On the following blog they figure out how to add video and flash file. alt-tab.org/
I have no idea how they did it but this is nice.

#26bNj – Wednesday, August 6th 2008, 21:23

On the following blog too : bnjlinks.info/v2 :)

#27MOin – Monday, September 8th 2008, 20:51

is that alt-tab using asaph??? if yes how did they put youtube in it? other than this are there some themes available for asaph? please give me details i am raelly much interested in this script it will save me a lot of bandwidth.

#28 – Wes – Friday, July 24th 2009, 16:45

Are you still developing this?

It's amazing. I have some suggestions...

- Rebuild Thumbnails option.
- Ability to use one set of core files for several folders/subdomains (at the moment I am using 5 separate installs for 5 subdomains.
- A public widget which allows people to submit their own pics to the website without having access to the admin panel.
- Ability to output image sections by date (maybe it's already possible?).