Quake for Oculus DK2, Direct Mode

Almost exactly two years ago, I published my first release of Quake with support for the Oculus Rift. Since then, an amazing community has fixed a number of bugs and added some nice features. In particular Luke Groeninger did a lot of work to get the kinks out.

However, Quake was still stuck in the Oculus DK1 world, with no positional tracking and no support for the DK2's Direct Mode. Today, I finally fixed that!

The game looks absolutely gorgeous in the DK2, even after all those years. The run speed is still ridiculous, but somehow I don't get sick playing it in the Rift. Your mileage may vary though, so take it slow.

The game now starts in VR Mode by default, disables view bobbing and sets the texture mode to NEAREST for the proper, pixelated oldschool vibe.

Additonal vars you can use in the console in the game (bring it up using the ~ key):

Download and Source

Wednesday, July 29th 2015

#1 – stevemcsteve – Friday, July 31st 2015, 15:51

just posting here to say how awesome this is, and that I can use mods with this.

Airquake and Slide, super awesome.

#2 – Jkostans – Friday, September 4th 2015, 20:00

Works with the 0.7 runtime! It looks like gamepad support was removed. Either that or the cvars have changed! Would that be easy to add back in a future release?

#3 – Alex – Saturday, October 17th 2015, 17:31

Hi, what are hardware requirements for a fluid Quake VR DK2 experience?
It is still possible to play it on Mac?
Thank you!

#4 – Steve – Thursday, April 21st 2016, 12:58

You need to sort your spam!

I can't seem to get this to work on the latest Oculus Rift sdk 0.9 for the consumer release of the rift "Failed to initialize oculus sdk"

#5 – Dominic – Tuesday, May 3rd 2016, 20:58

Sorry about the comment spam; I think I cleaned up all of it now. I'm eager to update Quake, but I'm still waiting for my CV1.

#6 – Firestorm185 – Saturday, October 8th 2016, 03:38

Hey, I'm actually here to post a comment about Xibalba, not Quake. If there's any way for you to update your WebVR game to work with newer versions of Oculus that woudl be fantastic! Even if you have to wait until Carmel from Oculus comes out or something like that, I unfortunately got a CV1 waaay after hearing about your game and was never able to play it in VR. I would LOVE to now, especially with the upgraded graphics and framerate of the new HMD. Hope something's possible. Thx!